Monday, November 19, 2012

Studio Work

For the past week (and the last week of my winterim) I've been back at MV recording so that by the end of the week I'd have an album of my own. I had been writing songs while I was in New York and preparing in my voice classes at school so that when I got back I would have songs to record. The first day I had to make a layout for how sound signals pass through all of the system in our recording studio and how that changed the outcome of the sound. It took a majority of the day but it was really cool to finally have a clear idea of how our recording studio worked. I could probably record any instrument in our studio because of what I learned. After that I started recording my songs. It took the rest of the week to record everything and edited it. Every song goes through a process. First I recorded the guitar, next the vocals, and then I edit each clip using gain to make it as loud as possible and compression so that each clip doesn't peak and sound weird in the the final recording. Each song took about a day to edit entirely, although the editing process took a lot faster as I became more experienced. By the end of the week I had 3 completed songs burned into a disc that I like to call my debut album. It was the most amazing feeling having an album of my own that I can show to people. I'm so excited to show it to everyone although I have a really hard time listening to myself sing... But that's okay, it's all about having something to show to someone when thy ask, "What are you interested in?"

No comments:

Post a Comment